Maryknoll Convent School was first established on Austin Road in 1925 as a kindergarten by the Maryknoll Sisters of St. Dominic. Construction of the new campus on Waterloo Road, Kowloon Tong started in 1933.
In 1936, Sir Andrew Caldecott, the Governor of Hong Kong, laid the cornerstone of the Main Building of the School. Upon completion of the construction one year later, the School moved to the new campus and began providing education for students from kindergarten to matriculation. It has been a landmark in the area ever since.
The School was used as a Japanese military hospital from 1942 to 1945. Construction of the Convent next to the Main Building on the slope, which began before the Second World War, was finally completed in 1953. In 1960, the Secondary Section was moved to the new school building on Ho Tung Road. From then onward, the Primary Section has remained in the Waterloo Road Main Building, eventually taking over the Convent as well when it adopted whole-day sessions in 1997.
Our heritage is a symbol of identity which forms a part of the collective memories, and provides Maryknollers with a sense of continuity and belonging. It is a marvellous possession not only to be enjoyed but also to be treasured and conserved for future generations and the community.